Bosco

Bosco
Hi. I'm Bosco.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Say, "Cheeeese?"

What a beautiful morning. With all the heat we've been having this summer it felt almost crisp it was so cool this morning.

After milking the goats (new stand worked famously), I was sitting and drinking my coffee with Goats creme I was able to skim off the top of a container in the fridge, while watching Bosco baaing softly trying to coax the ladies to leave the paddock and go out into the pasture with him, I remembered I had to work the stupid late shift at the day job today. Meaning I had a few hours to kill between milking and coming to work.

Soooo....having 4 gallons of goats milk in the fridge, a few hours to kill, and all the stuff I needed, I looked at some recipes and decided I had just enough time to make a batch of cheese. Just enough time assuming everything went perfectly on a recipe I've never done before. I've made soft cheese before, but I wanted to make something different this time. Decided on Goat milk Feta and Farmers Cheddar, since the recipes are pretty much the same up until the end. So I could make two cheeses in one big batch. Only difference between the two is you put the cheddar in a cheese press and the Feta you hang in cheese cloth and let drain for several hours.

The cheese Gods, must have been looking down on me, because everything went exactly and perfectly like they should have. Curds I tried were delicious (understatement), so the cheese should too. I was able to have the feta, hanging and draining and the cheddar in the press before leaving for work. And I was only a couple minutes late.

Now I have to wait 5 stupid days for both to age properly. Guess I should have made some soft cheese, at least you can eat that right away.

1 comment: