Bosco

Bosco
Hi. I'm Bosco.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Farm Report 8/5/10

Best milking yet this morning. Milked all the ladies completely out for the first time. Christina may have struggled with it at first, but now she's better than I am at milking. Especially on the small teat ladies.

We got about a 1/2 gallon each off Spice ( a joy to milk) and Rose ( a struggle), then we milked Cheerio. She is the one we have the hardest time with. She was so full we got about 3/4 gallon off of her alone. I know she will feel better today with all that pressure off her udder. Since we finally got her milked out today, tomorrow she should milk out faster.

Walked the fence last night, tripping over four grazing goats the whole time. They stay 10 feet from us the whole time. Though Bosco was being studly and leading the way most of the time. When alone they barely leave the paddock. Though, in their defense, there is plenty of stuff for them to eat in the paddock still. The most they've ventured into the pasture (that we've seen) was about 20 feet beyond the gate. With these goats...hell...I didn't even need a fence.

Built another goat stand last night, so that Christina and I can milk at the same time, whittling the time of this chore way down. Takes us about 45 minutes to an hour to milk the three now. But we are getting better. Took us a little less than an hour today, but we milked them all out 100% for the first time.

Poured myself a tall icy cold glass of goat milk last night....damn...it's so good. At first I wondered about the taste. These last batches are much better. To me it really isn't any different than cows milk. Maybe sweeter. Don't know if it's because I'm getting used to it or if the better pasture, awesome well water, and the goats being much more comfortable are all making a difference?

Noticed that some creme does indeed rise to the top. But no where near the quantity cow's milk will. I skimmed a little off and drank a shot of that straight. Sinful. Think drinking heavy cream. Who needs whiskey when you can do goat creme shots? Still...it would nice to buy a cream separator so we can make butter, whipped cream, and for our coffee.

Sitting in the Dining Room I see a deer of massive size bounding through the back pasture. So we rush for the binoculars. Couldn't really see details, but it hung out back there for 5 minutes or so. Was no mistake it was a damn impressive buck. Tines I could see above the weeds, were really long. Hell body size alone was incredible. I need to find my deer cam and set it up.

Been seeing lot's of deer lately. I suspect I'll see this buck a lot until October 1 and then the trophy turkeys will start showing back up and I'll never see him again. Just like my turkey season. ;)

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment